Sunday, February 6, 2011

A red moon, a violet sky...

This is a diary entry which I wrote on my second last day in Mumbai...



21st January 2011 (approximately 9.00 PM)


A red moon in a violet sky...framed by golden lights which shimmer in the dark dark water...


Thats the view of Mumbai I was blessed enough to witness this fine night...Sahyadri guest house shall forever remain in my heart and I shall be forever indebted to it because it gave me this scene which has so enthralled my soul. Its so pretty, so alive, so dreamy...it can make you cry. Zindagi mein ek baar Mumbai toh zaroor aayo, it will make you fall in love.

Mumbai - the city of dreams, the city of love, the city...just THE city.

This city calls you to be one of its own, enchants you like no other and you are bound to it forever and ever with no complaints, but with stars in your eyes...this city demands of you to make yourself someone who may live here, share its sky and sea. This city calls out to you and you, you cant wait to answer.

Marine drive or the queen's necklace, as it is called, is a hub of people from all walks of life as they come here to rewind...talking in diverse languages and in diverse styles but they still stand united - one identity, thousand principles. Wahan chalte chalte, 18 se lekar 60 saal ke logo ko saath baithe dekh, ek khayal mann mein aaya - Jab kabhi bhi pyaar par se vishwaas uthh raha ho, marine drive chale aana. Issi khayal ke baad, mann ko yeh maloom chala ki khud ko 'hopeless romantic' kehne wali main bhi kahin na kahin ek pessimist banti ja rahi hoon. Dukh hua par phir ek nazar fairayee apne chaaron ore, dekha unn saare logon ko apni hi tarah kissi na kissi cheez mein doobe hue aur ek halki si muskaan ne apne dastakhat diye aur moofli moonh mein daal, main phir Mumbai ke jaadu mein beh gayee...

"I am in love" - these words were what I said as soon as my best friend picked up her phone - "I am in love with Mumbai and I am sad to be leaving this place..."

The reason - the people of Mumbai and their warm and polite and unique nature (no where else have I heard this expression - "Sir ko ek malaai wali chai maariyo zarra"), the breeze, the trees and the thousand and one dreams...floating around waiting to be caught...and I cant wait to catch mine, I cant wait to watch it unfold and I cant pray enough that I be able to wait...

...Mumbai, the city of dreams...the city of a red moon in a violet sky which rises steadily up...framed by stars and dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment