Monday, May 14, 2012

Were you stunned today?



There are umpteen times I am stunned in a day.


For instance when I realize I slept with my headphones in my ears.


Or when I am told that my brother ate all the chicken leftover from the night before.


Or when I see a chipkalli sitting on my desk.


Or when I watch on news the complete shameful disgrace of our democracy by the people who are supposed to guard it.


Here I was today, merrily having my dinner of karela (I happen to like it – you may have your stunned moment of the day) when I watched on the news how our parliamentarians made a complete mockery of the words (seem to be just words to them) – Freedom of Speech and Expression.


They were ‘incensed’ (like I was at their sheer thick-headedness) at a particular cartoon (by Shankar) in the NCERT Political Science text book of Class XII which depicts Babasaheb Ambedkar (Chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee) and the Prime Minister (Jawaharlal Nehru) both brandishing a whip at the snail pace at which the constitution is being written.


Now, the caption beneath this reads and I quote – “Cartoonist’s impression of the ‘snail’space’ with which the Constitution was made. Making of the Constitution took almost three years. Is the cartoonist commenting on this fact? Why do you think, did the Constituent Assembly take so long to make the Constitution?”


Now the answer to this as far as I can remember was that it was taking them so long because of the intricacies of India’s cultural character and the history with which he had emerged and the will to make a comprehensive constitution with an in depth study of those of other countries like France and the United States…but of course who cares that the answer was in support of the constitution drafting committee…the most important thing there is the whip.


Now here BOTH are brandishing whips and asking the 'snail pace' to hurry up, there is NO question of Nehru being a slave driver or Ambedkar being one. If either is portrayed as that, the other automatically falls in the same ambit.


The point made out here is as Miss. Mayawati (who at the time of writing this seems to be getting embroiled in an ‘Elephant scam’ where she seems to have done massive funds blundering in the task of decorating UP with elephant statues) eloquently puts – “Reacting to the controversy, Bahujan Samajwadi Party (BSP) chief Mayawati said, "Dr Ambedkar is a towering personality, who framed the Constitution of India and the Parliament is running on it. This is an insult on Indian democracy. The government should intervene and take strong action against those, who are involved in this. If it failed to do so, we will wait for two to three days or else our party will not allow the House to run."


The point behind such strong words, you ask?


Err...I don’t know. I doubt anyone does. It is the case of the missing point it seems because whatever point could have been about Nehru threatening Ambedkar seems to have vanished into thin air because Ambedkar too holds a whip, and both are using their respective whips at the snail...


Except of course creating misunderstandings and stupidities galore and not to mention move attention away from other pressing matters like her ‘Elephant scam’ to talk of one...


Anyway, my point with this blog post is to basically praise these books and so here I go –


These two books (Contemporary World Politics and Politics in India since Independence) were the best books in my 14 years in school and certainly in high school where text books matter a lot more than they did before. I remember reading them with so much relish that my mother got suspicious because none of my other books ever got that attention from me. I still have them with me and they are filled with notes I took down during class and otherwise, cartoons filled with little tidbits of analysis as we debated them out in class and basically the sign of a student actually engaging in class...but I guess thats just not required or maybe even frowned down upon – what good could it be for anyone if God forbid, someone engaged in a debate and did not just stage a walk out?


Maybe instead of designing a book which encourages free flow of thoughts and creativity and a will to study and know more and which increases our curiosity level, Prof Yogendra Yadav, Suhas Palshikar and the team behind this book, should have designed a book which directs our behaviour and thoughts and teaches us to choose the way of escape any chance of debate and building a character.


For the way they have been treated with attacks at Suhas Palshikar’s office by a bunch of illiterate goons to them resigning from the post of being advisors to NCERT to the sheer shame of Kapil Sibal, HRD minister, apologizing for the cartoon and vowing to withdraw the book from next year, I just feel terribly sad and scared for the India we seem to be fast creating – always incensed with no sense of intelligent debates and a will to allow dissenting opinions and to talk them over and one which is fearful of standing up against such blatant ignorance and violation of the constitution they seem to think they are defending. A book shouldnt by no means be one which the student likes studying or a teacher (in my case a brilliant one - Mrs. Charu Kalra Singhal) like teaching...no not at all! We will vehemently oppose all such aggressive dangerous acts, wont we?


This is unfortunately not a lone incident, freedom of speech and expression and the idea of creative freedom has been run down again and again and again over the recent times – the removal of AK Ramanujan’s essay on Ramayana from the Delhi University syllabus, arrest of a professor in West Bengal for making a cartoon of the residing CM and Trinamool Chief – Mamata Banerjee to not allowing Salman Rushdie to attend the Jaipur Literary Festival 2012 to ones in the past such as driving out MF Husain, fondly referred to as India’s Picasso – because no one here had the will to stand up for him even as he took his last breaths away from the country he loved so much, not even a citizen of it as he died.


And sorry too to all those who fought for this country to be free and create its own thoughts.


At the time of writing this, I went on the NCERT website and opened the web version of the book, only to find it printed across the pages – NOT TO BE REPUBLISHED.


I was stunned again.


Its a sad day indeed.


A picture of a typical page in my copy of Contemporary World Politics (I cannot find my copy of the other book...if unable to find it, I will surely buy a copy before it gets lost in selfish politics) –









29 comments:

  1. Mannu, badee ho gayee re. Apart from content, what language my dear. Love you beti

    ReplyDelete
  2. strait from the heart (that also has a brain ). many duaa;en !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is the way to be STUNNED! BRAVO! A very original expression of a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. बहुत सधी हुई और सुविचारित प्रतिक्रिया. शाबास!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!...I liked this article very much...Kudos to the writer....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very brilliant and analytic,touching too. Congrats dear Ritambhara. Manisha Kulshreshtha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fabulous! It looks like you are one of the lucky ones who got to study from those books. I was less fortunate since when I studied in 9th grade we had to study a subject called "civics".

    I read those books first just as they were getting published when I had completed more than 5 years after my schooling. I simply fell in love with these books. My love for these books have come from (apart from the fact that one of the advisors - Suhas Palshikar - is my father :D) the fact that I used to get saddened when nobody from my class used to like social sciences/politics. And I used to wonder and discuss as to what can be done so that these subjects become more relevant and more interesting. The current (now abandoned) NCERT books did exactly that. And the result is in front of me in the form of your blog-post! I have very rarely seen such a balanced and well articulated view about the social matters from a young generation (not that I have seen it from the older generation either - our MPs are the evidence of that!).

    I just hope that the review committee set up now for reviewing these books doesn't come down on the books too highhandedly.

    Just recently I too wrote a few post on the issue: http://conformist-maverick.blogspot.com/ Thought you might like it.

    Note: The similarity in the background of the blog is just a coincidence - similarity in the thought is perhaps not :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much! :) First up, please congratulate your father for such fantastic books and tell him that I and countless other students who had the good fortune to learn something from these books are deeply disturbed with the controversy being fabricated around it.

      And about this post - Well, I am glad you liked it but I just couldnt stop myself from reacting to something which was so obviously not true! And the fact that the government apologized for the content (which wasnt there as it had been portrayed) and not for the violent actions against it nor did it initiate any form of debate just made it worse. What kind of time have we entered?!
      And civics...please dont remind me. For a very long time I hated 'political science' because 'civics' covered it or so we were made to believe. Spent almost all classes sleeping on the front desk. :p

      I have some hopes pinned up with the review committee but not much considering they have already been taken out of publication...sigh.

      Anyway, going over to read your blog and thank you so much for your encouraging comment again. :)

      Ritambhara

      Delete
  8. Very nice. I quite like the mao+hu cartoons as well. Very interesting use of cartoons to teach kids to read between the lines of political events.

    also see this - http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article3429563.ece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were awesome! Reading and analyzing them made the class a lot more fun and interactive and something you intrinsically got without having to mug up but who wants that to happen?

      Anyway, Thank You! :)

      Delete
  9. After reading Ketan's comment feeling amazed your article drew attention from all age groups. Manisha Kulshreshtha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed! It was my father whom the article was passed along from some of his students and he passed it along to me. So certainly now Ritambhara has a greater responsibility to address a wider audience :)

    @Ritambhara: About telling my father, I believe he has already read the blog and also have received many emails from students who studied these books. As a family member I must say it is an emotionally humbling experience as much as intellectually encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be. I had no idea he had read it...

      Thank You so much. :)

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ritambhara really appreciate your well thoughtful approach as I was equally saddened and stunned by government’s decision to withdraw the book which indeed has been the most objective piece of work and has a far reaching import. The cartoon in the book most certainly has been falsely perceived and wrongly interpreted and by no means seeks to denigrate or despise the work of Dr. B.R Ambedkar whose ideals ,beliefs and conviction remains unsurpassed and gets reflected in the lengthiest constitution of the world. It is appalling that the largest democracy could not defend creative freedom and liberty -the gospels which it embraces. Recently, another row over the cartoon in our 12th political science book regarding imposition of Hindi has erupted as it is believed that it distorts history and hurt the sentiments of Tamils. The very essence of Democratic politics is the Politics of Dissent where voices of agreements and disagreements echo resolutely and are constantly evolving. It is about how these disparate voices gets there due recognition through conciliation and reconciliation. It is WE THE PEOPLE as the Preamble says who will have to make correct choices.

    ReplyDelete
  14. เปิดร้านส้มตำ สร้างยอดขาย ด้วยเทคนิค pg slot game อยากเปิด ร้านส้มตำเล็กๆ สร้างยอดขายหลักแสน หลักล้าน ไม่ยากอย่าง ที่คิด วันนี้ pg slot game สร้างอาชีพ จะมาเผยสเต็ปเคล็ดไม่ลับ

    ReplyDelete
  15. ".แนะนำเลย เว็บนี้ทำเงินได้จริง ไม่มีโกง ถอนเท่าไหร่ก็จ่ายเร็ว ทำเงินได้หลักแสนก็ถอนได้ ปั่นสล็อตทุกค่าย แจกโบนัสทุกวัน ทดลองเล่นสล็อต pg 2023 กดเข้ารับโบนัสง่าย ไม่มีเงื่อนไขใดๆ แจกทุกวันให้กับสมาชิกอย่างแน่นอน รับประกันรีวิวจริง
    "

    ReplyDelete
  16. "รีวิวเว็บที่เล่นจริง ทำเงินได้ไว magame88 เล่นได้เพียงไม่กี่นาที ก็สามารถทำเงินได้แล้ว สล็อตเว็บใหม่ รวมเกมมากมาย ทำเงินได้สูงสุดหลักแสนบาท เล่นเวลาไหนก็สามารถทำเงินได้ เว็บทำเงินโบนัสแตกง่าย ถอนไวมาก
    "

    ReplyDelete